a Doctor of History, a Dean of the History and Philosophy Department at the Illia Mechnykov Odesa National University
Household Books as an Ethnographic Source
On the example of household books of a village council of a Ukrainian village with a share of the Moldovan population, considered are possibilities of their use for studying the dynamics and transformation of ethnic identities in the Ukrainian-Moldovan borderland. Book entries were used to illustrate these processes in the 1940s and 1950s.
household books, Ukrainian-Moldovan relations, transformations of ethnic identity.
- BALABUSHEVYCH, Tetiana. Formation and Development of the Ukrainians’ Ethnic Borderlines with Moldovans and Romanians. In: Serhiy KVIT, ed.‑in‑chief, Magisterium. National University Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. 2004, iss. 17: Historical Studies, pp. 69–74 [online]. [in Ukrainian].
- KARACHKIVSKYI, Mykhaylo. North-Western Balta Lands. In: Oleksandra HRUSHEVSKA, ed., The Historical-Geographical Collection. Commission for Compiling the Historical-Geographical Dictionary of Ukraine. Kyiv: All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences,1929, vol. III, pp. 159–196 [in Ukrainian].
- LAZAREV, Artem (ed.). Culture of Soviet-Ruled Moldova.Collected Documents: in Two Volumes. Chișinău: Ştiinţă [Science], 1975, vol. 1, pt. 1: Cultural Construction in Soviet‑Ruled Moldavia, 1940–1960, pp. 74–75 [in Moldovan].
- KUSHNIR, Vyacheslav. Dynamics of Population Size of Baltshchyna Moldovans in the XIXth through the 1920s. Revista de etnologie şi culturologie [Journal of Ethnology and Culturology]. Chișinău, 2007, vol.2, pp. 257–260 [in Moldovan].
- KUSHNIR, Vyacheslav. Folk Fine Art of the Ukrainians in Southwestern Ukraine: AVisual Aid for Students of the History Faculty. Part 2: Weaving. Illia Mechnykov Odesa National University. Odesa: ONU, 2017 [online]. [in Ukrainian].
- KUSHNIR,Vyacheslav. Coast within the Ukrainian-Moldovan Borderland. In: Vyacheslav KUSHNIR, ed.‑in‑chief, Notes of the History Faculty. Illia Mechnykov Odesa National University. Odesa: ONU, 2019, iss. 30, pp. 75–95 [in Ukrainian].
- MELNYCHUK, Oleksandr. Toponymy of Kodyma District (Odesa Region). In: Linguistics.Proceedings of the Institute of Linguistics of the UkrSSR Academy of Sciences. Kyiv, 1957, vol.XIV, p. 57 [in Ukrainian].
- Household Book of the Labushne Village Council. 1944–1946 [in Ukrainian].
- Household Book of the Labushne Village Council. 1946, 1950, 1960 [in Ukrainian].
- Household Book of the Labushne Village Council. 1950–1952 [in Ukrainian].
- Household Book of the Labushne Village Council. 1953–1955 [in Ukrainian].
- Decisions and Resolutions of the 3rd Session of the All-Ukrainian Central Executive Committee of the XVIIIth Convocation (October 12, 1924). In: Collection of Laws and Decrees of the Workers’and Peasants’ Government of Ukraine. No. 47. December 13, 1924 [in Ukrainian].
- SERGIEVSKIY,Maxim. MoldovanSketches. Moscow; Leningrad, 1936, pp. 34–35 [in Russian].
- TUCHYNSKYI, Vitaliy. Moldovan Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic within the UkrSSR іn 1924–1940: To the Issue of Historical Roots of Transnistria’s Current Problem Emergence. In: Vitaliy SHCHERBAK, ed.‑in‑chief, Kyiv Historical Studies: Collected Scientific Papers. Borys Hrinchenko Kyiv University. Kyiv, 2016, no. 1(2), pp. 27–31 [in Ukrainian].