a Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, a professor at the Physical Electronics Department of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University
Boris Ten, A Translator for Opera Performances (Exemplified by His Rendering into Ukrainian the Libretto for Giuseppe Verdi’s Un ballo in maschera)
The article considers the works of the outstanding Ukrainian translator Mykola Khomychevskyi (known by his pen name Borys Ten (1897–1983)) in the field of equirhythmic reproduction of librettos of classical and modern operas for performance from the stage. Carried out is a detailed analysis of Ten’s translation of Antonio Somma’s libretto for Giuseppe Verdi’s opera Un ballo in maschera (A Masquerade Ball) performed in 1947 and staged in 1956 at the Kyiv Opera and Ballet Theatre by the prominent Ukrainian conductor Veniamin Tolba. It is shown that performing the opera rendered in this translation for many decades has ensured the audience’s constant interest in this spectacle as a bright musical drama, which provides an organic synthesis of music and words.
opera, musical drama, libretto, translation, language of performance.
- STRIKHA, Maksym. Borys Ten and His Translation of «A Masquerade Ball». Complemented by the text of the translated libretto, literarily edited of Maksym STRIKHA [online]. Available from: https://musicinukrainian.wordpress.com/2021/06/12/un-ballo-in-maschera/ (June, 12 2021) [in Ukrainian].
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Opera A Masquerade Ball, Act 1: ALive Recording of a Performance by the Kyiv Opera House Opera House in 1962 [online]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3e1heyhHaQ&list=PL6vbUg9NjrqBjqr8Qf0WzbRWq04zg7hFC&index=23 [in Ukrainian].
- VERDI, Giuseppe. A Masquerade Ball: An Opera in 3 Acts. Kyiv: National Opera of Ukraine, 2008, 40 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- HAYDN, Joseph. The Seasons: Sheet Music: An Oratorio for Three Soloists, Choir, and Orchestra. A Reduction. Edited by Viktor IKONNYK. Kyiv: Musical Ukraine, 1977, 426 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- GAINSBOURG, Hryhoriy. The Crisis of Opera as a Result of Disruption of the Art Synthesis. In: Nina NIKOLAEVA, Svetlana KONANCHUK, eds., Polylogue and Synthesis of Arts: History and Modernity, Theory and Practice.Materials of the IIIrd International Academic Conference Held in March, 5–6 2020. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory, Netherlands Institute in Saint Petersburg, Union of Composers of St. Petersburg. Saint Petersburg: Russian Christian Academy for the Humanities Publishing House, 2020, pp. 35–36 [in Russian].
- ZHURAVSKYI, Anatoliy, Kateryna LENETS (compilers). The Disquiet of Desires and Ideas. From the Creative Heritage of Borys Ten: Poems, Translations, Articles, Letters, and Reminiscence. Kyiv: Soviet Writer, 1988, 551 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- The Seasons: An Oratorio, Composed by Joseph Haydn. The Libretto was translated into Ukrainian by Borys Ten. The text was prepared for publication by Petro Bilous, a Doctor of Philology, professor. In: Iryna KOPOT (editor-compier). Artist – Culture – Dimensions of Time: International Scientific Readings of 2017 at the Borys Liatoshynskyi Museum in Zhytomyr: Collected Papers. Zhytomyr: Oleksiy Yevenok Publishing House, 2017, pp. 517–529 [in Ukrainian].
- STRIKHA, Maksym. The Ukrainian Translation and Translators: Between Literature and Nation-Building. Kyiv: Spirit and Letter, 2020, 520 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- STRIKHA, Maksym. Maksym Rylskyi and the Opera Ukrainization. In: Hanna SKRYPNYK, ed.‑in‑chief, Folk Art and Ethnology, 2020, 2, pp. 5–20 [in Ukrainian].