a Doctor of History, a professor, a head of the Archival Scientific Funds of Manuscripts and Audio-Recordings of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine M. Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folkloristics and Ethnology
The Processes of Transformation in the Ukrainians’ National Cuisine at the Turn of the 20th – 21st Centuries
Processes of changes in the Ukrainian national cuisine at the turn of the 20th – 21st centuries are investigated in the article. The dependence of transformation on various social, migration and economic factors is shown. Attention is paid to the positive feature of cookery borrowings, and also the necessity of preservation of national acquirements in the development of gastronomy. The conditions of changes evolution dependently on the location of rural settlements, the cities influence on the consuming system in the suburban area are analyzed. Importance of preservation of the specific character of the national Ukrainian cuisine as the immaterial heritage of the people for the advocacy of cultural values in the world is emphasized. The possibilities of folk cookery creative work during the period of continuous deficiencies, when the pineapple compote has been cooked out of vegetable marrows with cherry plums, are revealed. Attention is paid to the preservation of traditions to cook food in the home conditions, changing some peculiarities in the order of eating, when family dinner is postponed till common supper and family intercourse. It is remarked, that the dishes of traditional tastes predominate at a considerable number of new products and dishes. Despite of the processes of transformation, adoption of dishes from the cuisine of various nations, first of all Italian, Japanese, Turkish, the Ukrainians prefer national dishes in everyday life, especially borscht, soups, varenyky, cabbage rolls (holubtsi), etc. are kept irreplaceable. Preservation of traditional cuisine with its balanced contents of carbohydrates, proteins, fats will favour a healthy way of life.
the Ukrainians, cuisine, traditions, peculiarity, borrowing, migration, transformation.
- ARTIUKH, Lidiya. UkrainianFolkCookery: Historical-EthnographicResearch. Volodymyr HORLENKO, ed. AS of Ukrainian SSR, M.Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folklore and Ethnography. Kyiv: Scientific thought, 1977, 152,  pp. [in Ukrainian].
- BEZUSENKO, L., ed.-compiler. UkrainianNationalCuisine. Donetsk: Stalker, 2002, 288pp. [in Ukrainian].
- HORBATSIO, Liubov, compiler. Boikos’ Cuisine. Lviv, 2020 [in Ukrainian].
- VOVK, Khv. StudiesinUkrainianEthnographyandAnthropology. Kyiv: Art, 1995, 335 p.,  folios of photos: ill. [in Ukrainian].
- HONTAR, Taisiya. FolkEatingoftheUkrainians of the Carpathians. Kyiv: Scientific thought, 1979, 116 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- SOKHAN, Pavlo, editorial board’s chairperson. HRUSHEVSKYI M. History of Ukraine-Rus: In Eleven Volumes, Twelve Books. Vol. 3: Till the year of 1340. Archeographic Commission of the AS of Ukrainian SSR, Institute of History of Ukraine of the AS of Ukrainian SSR; Ukrainian Scientific Institute of Harvard University; Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies of Alberta University; Petro Yatsyk Centre of Studies of the History of Ukraine. – Kyiv: Scientific thought, 1993, 592 pp. (Monuments of Historical Thought of Ukraine) [in Ukrainian].
- DAVYDIUK, Mykola. Traditional Consuming of Volhynia Population. In: Hanna SKRYPNYK, ed-in-chief. Folk Art and Ethnography, 2006, 1, 38–50 [in Ukrainian].
- SKRYPNYK, Hanna, ed-in-chief. Ethnographic Image of Modern Ukraine. The Corpus of Expeditionary Folklore-Ethnographic Materials. Vol.8. Culture of Folk Eating. Kyiv: M. Rylskyi IASFE, 2018, 496 pp.: ill. [in Ukrainian].
- KARI, Olha. CompoteofBushPumpkin. Kyiv: Komora, 2020, 384pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KONOPKO, Volodymyr, Andriy ZIUBROVSKYI. “FromaSmallGraintoBread”. Semantic-Structural Analysis of Grain Production Life of Ukrainians (After the Materials of South-Western Historical-Ethnographic Region of Ukraine). Lviv, 2018, 600pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KREKOTEN, Volodymyr, compiler and preface author. Collection of Cossack Chronicles: Hustyn, By Samiylo Velychko, Hrabianka. Kyiv: Dnipro, 2006, 967,  pp.: ill. [in Ukrainian].
- MARKEVICH, Nikolai, compiler. Customs, Beliefs, Cuisine and Drinks of Ukrainians: Taken from the Present Folk Life. Kiev: In the Printing-House of I. and A. Davidenko, 1860, 171,  pp. [in Russian].
- NEILENKO, Serhiy, Valentyna RUSAVSKA. Cookery Ethnology [Text]: a Teaching Aid. Kyiv National University of Culture and Arts. Kyiv: Lira-K, 2020, 610 pp.: ill. [in Ukrainian].
- RICOEUR, Paul. HistoryandTruth. Translated from French by Viktor SHOVKUN; HOLICHENKO, Tetiana, scientific editor. Kyiv: KM Academia: Pulsary, 2001, 393 pp. (Christian Philosophers) [in Ukrainian].
- SEHEDA, Serhiy Andriyovych. Statistical Analysis of theConsumption of Meat and Meat Products in Ukraine. In: Yuriy LUPENKO, ed.-in-chief. Economy of the Industrial Agriculture: International Scientific-Production Journal, 2020, 3, 36–46 [in Ukrainian].
- SOBOLIEVA, Olena. The Crimean Tatars Cuisine. Olena BRAICHENKO, compiler. Kyiv: Braichenko O. Yu., 2019, 126 pp.: coloured ills. [in Ukrainian].
- SUMTSOV, Mykola. Slobozhany. Historical-Ethnographic Study. Kharkiv, 2002, pp. 135–137 [in Ukrainian].
- TVORUN, Svitlana, Tetiana TSVIHUN. Breadsfor Holidays andto Honour. Vinnytsia, 2019, 298 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- MYSHANYCH, Oleksa, ed. Ukrainian Literarure of the 17th Century. Compiled, prefaced and annotated by Volodymyr KREKOTEN. Kyiv: Scientific thought, 1987, 608 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- BRAICHENKO, Olena, Maryna HRYMYCH and Vitaliy REZNICHENKO, et. al. Ukraine. Food and History. Kyiv: їzhak, 2021, 288 pp. [in Ukrainian].