a Ph.D. in Philology, senior research fellow at Ukrainian and Foreign Folklore Studies Department of the Maksym Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folkloristics and Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine. ORCID: 0000-0003-4048-914
The Main Values in the Narratives about Resettlement from the Flooded Areas
The reconstruction of the hierarchy of values in the world-view of people who have experienced the resettlement, is fulfilled in the article. The main material of the study includes the authoress’s interviews, recorded in 2012–2014, 2019 in Poltava, Kirovograd, Cherkasy, Khmelnytskyi, Kyiv Oblasts. The analysed texts give grounds to build the following hierarchy of values: land, house, community, cemetery.
The situation of forced resettlement has dealt a devastating blow to the inviolability, stability of the world, which is a fundamental value in traditional society. At the same time, this situation from the time distance makes it possible to trace what is of greater or less value for people, what and how they have tried to preserve in extreme conditions of resettlement, how they present their experience today. It is possible to distinguish language units at different levels in the analysed memoirs (morpheme, lexical, syntactic, textual, genre), which have axiological semantics, the so‑called axiological markers.
There is a regularity at the lexical level: the denser nominative coverage of a particular territory is the more mastered, native is this locus. In the studied texts the different density of the spatial nomination of these two contextually oppositional loci is striking. Thus, an eloquent sign is the presence of numerous microtoponyms in stories about the lost territory and the almost complete absence of such nominations in the description of the new settlement place.
Considerable attention of the narrators is focused on the process of their house destruction. The high value of this spatial object is evidenced, among other things, by the nomination of destruction: to break, to smooth, to destroy, to raze to the ground. Lexical and morpheme repetitions increase an influence on the listener, convey the semantics of loss.
A positive assessment of the rural community of the resettled village before the resettlement and in the process of adaptation, building at a new site is a typical place of memories. In addition to the positive characteristics, the high appreciation of the resettlement community from the flooded village is evidenced by the desire to preserve the name of their village on the site of the settlement, which is mentioned in the memoirs. The value of the community is also evidenced by the autonominations of the people, present in the memoirs: resettlers, refugees, Bakota people, pidsiniany.
The flooding of graves is especially dangerous in the traditional world-view, because it provokes the curse of dead ancestors. The transfer of cemeteries is perceived by the peasants very painfully. This phenomenon is unnatural, contradicts the basic world-view concepts of the universe, alarms and frightens people because of the possible anger of their deceased.
In addition to these lost values the narrators also mention the loss of clean Dnipro water, lost health, time, because the ordering of their household takes constantly a lot of time and efforts on a new place.
values, memories, resettlement, axiological markers, nomination.
- KOVAL-FUCHYLO, Iryna, compiler. Keenings. Kyiv: M. Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folklorisitics and Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine, 2012, 792 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- MYKHNIAK, Mykola, compiler. Flooded Paradise: Andrushi in the Memories and Documents. Kyiv: Ukrainian priority, 2018, 400 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- TOLSTAYA, Svetlana, ed.-in-chief. Assessment Category and Values System in the Language and Culture. Moscow: Indrik, 2015, 432 pp. [in Russian].
- KOVAL-FUCHYLO, Iryna. Concept Land in the Narratives about the Forced Resettlement. In: Michal Šmigeĺ, ed. Lemkovia, Bojkovia, Rusíni – dejiny, súčasnosť, materiálna a duchovná kultúra. Banská Bystrica, 2018, vol. 7, part 2, pp. 25–40 [in Ukrainian].
- KOVAL-FUCHYLO, Iryna. Memorial Culture and Stories about Resettlement from the Flooded Zones. In: Stepan PAVLIUK, ed.-in-chief. TheEthnology Notebooks. 2021, no. 2 (158), pp. 456–471 [in Ukrainian].
- KUZMENKO, Oksana. Dramatic Existence of the Person in Ukrainian Folklore: Conceptual Forms of Expression (the Period of the First and Second World Wars): A Monograph. Lviv: Institute of Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine, 2018, 728 pp.[in Ukrainian].
- KULPINA Valentina, Olga FROLOVA. Conference ”Values in the Linguo-Cultural Picture of the World of the Slavs and Their Neighbours” [online]. Available from: http://www.rastko.rs/projekti/etnoling/delo/14124. (accessed June 1, 2021) [in Russian].
- SOROKOVA, Sofiya. Swallows do not Fly to Zarubyntsi: Historical and Local History Essay. Edited and compiled by Taras NAHAIKO, OleksandrHORBOVYI. Pereyaslav-Khmelnytskyi, 2015, 368 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- TOLSTAYA, Svetlana. Assessment Category in the Language and Text. In: Svetlana TOLSTAYA, ed.-in-chief. Assessment Category and Values System in the Language and Culture. Moscow: Indrik, 2015, pp. 11–32 [in Russian].
- BARTMINSKI, Jerzy. Projekt i założenia ogólne słownika aksjologicznego [Unity in Diversity. Around the Slavic Axiosphere]. Język a kultura [Language and Culture]. 1991, vol. 2. Edited by J. PUZYNINA, Jerzy BARTMINSKI. Wrocław, pp. 197–209 [in Polish].
- BARTMINSKI, Jerzy. The Axiological Lexicon of Slaves and Their Neighbours. What does It Contain, What Principles is It Based on, Who is It Intended for? The Axiological Lexicon of Slaves and their Neighbours. Vol. 1. The Concept of HOME. Lublin, 2018, pp. 7–15 [in English].
- BARTMINSKI, Jerzy, Dorota PAZIO-WLAZLOWSKA, Bozena ZYWICKA. Leksykon aksjologiczny Słowian i ich sąsiadów – stan obecny i perspektywy kontynuacji [Axiological Lexicon of the Slavs and Their Neighbours– Present State and Prospects for Continuation]. I Międzynarodowy Kongres Etnolingwistyczny Etnolingwistyka – bilans dyscypliny: stan badań, metody i postulaty badawcze [The First International Ethnolinguistic Congress. Ethnolinguistics – Balance of the Discipline: State of Research, Research Methods and Postulates] (Lublin, 20.06. – 24.06.2021). Theses of the papers [online]. Available from: http://kongresetnolingwistyczny.pl/materialy/, pp. 19–21 [in Polish].
- NIEBZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, Stanislava, Dorota PAZIO-WLAZLOWSKA, eds. Jedność w rуżnorodności. Wokуł słowiańskiej aksjosfery [Unity in Diversity. Around the Slavic Axiosphere]. Lublin, 2019 [in Polish].
- KALISZUK, P. Wartości w językowym obrazie świata – międzynarodowe seminarium lingwistyki kulturowej w Wilnie – relacja [Values in the Linguistic Image of the World– International Seminar on Cultural Linguistics in Vilnius – Report] [online]. Available from: https://www.umcs.pl/pl/aktualnosci,6942,wartosci-w-jezykowym-obrazie-swiata-miedzynarodowe-seminarium-lingwistyki-kulturowej-w-wilnie-relacja,82055.chtm#page-1 [in Polish].
- NIEBZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, Stanislava, Dorota PAZIO-WLAZLOWSKA, eds. Koncepty i ich profilowanie [Concepts and Their Profiling]. Lublin, 2019 [in Polish].
- BARTMINSKI, Jezy, ed. Leksykon aksjologiczny Słowian i ich sąsiadów [AxiologicalLexiconoftheSlavsandTheirNeighbours]. Vol. 1. HOUSE. Edited by JezyBARTMIŃSKI, Iwona BIELIŃSKA-GARDZIEL, Bożena Żywicka. Lublin, 2015; Vol. 2. EUROPE. Edited by Wojciech CHLEBDA. Lublin-Opole, 2018; Vol. 3. WORK. Edited by Jezy BARTMINSKI, M. BRZOZOWSKA, Stanislava NIEBRZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, Lublin, 2016; Vol. 4. FREEDOM. Edited by M. ABRAMOWICZ, Jezy BARTMINSKI. Lublin-Warsaw, 2019; Vol. 5. HONOUR. Edited by P. SOTIROV, Dejan AJDAČIĆ. Lublin, 2017 [in Polish].
- BIELINSKA-GARDZIEL, Iwona, Stanislava NIEBZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, Joanna SZADURA, eds. Problemy eksplikowania i profilowania pojęć [Problems of Explicating and Profiling Concepts]. Lublin, 2014
- NIEBZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, Stanislava, Joanna SZADURA, Bozena ZYWICKA, eds. Słownik językowy – leksykon – encyklopedia w programie badań porуwnawczych [Language Dictionary – Lexicon – Encyclopedia in the Comparative Research Program]. Lublin, 2018 [in Polish].
- ABRAMOWICZ, M., Jezy BARTMINSKI, Iwona BIELINSKA-GARDZIEL, eds. Wartości w językowo-kulturowym obrazie świata Słowian i ich sąsiadуw: (Analizy semantyczne domu, pracy, ojczyzny, wolności i in.) [Values in the Linguistic and Cultural Image of the World of the Slavs and Their Neighbours: (Semantic Analyzes of Home, Work, Homeland, Freedom, etc.)]. Lublin, 2012 [in Polish].
- BARTMINSKI, Jezy, Iwona BIELINSKA-GARDZIEL, Stanislava NIEBZEGOWSKA-BARTMINSKA, eds. Wokуł europejskiej aksjosfery [Around the European Axiosphere]. Lublin, 2014 [in Polish].