a Ph.D. in History, an Associate Professor, an acting chair of Theory and History of Arts Department of the Kharkiv State Academy of Design and Arts
Applied Aspects of Modern Ethno-Cultural Studies
The border location, many years of the Russification of the Ukrainians of northern east of Ukraine cause the fact that ethnographic studies in Slobozhanshchyna could not and cannot be exclusively the realm of scientific discourse.
From the 1930s investigation of folk culture of Slobozhanshchyna hasn’t been conducted almost until the end of the twentieth century. Renewal of ethnographic research has started with ethnomusicological studies. The public organization Union of Ethnologists and Folklorists of the City of Kharkiv has been established in 1993. It has been conducting active field ethnographic, publishing and popularization work since that time. N. Oliynyk, the head of the Union, has organized the regional children’s festival of traditional folk culture Krokoveye Kolo, which includes ethnographic pupil conferences, a festival of crafts and folk performance.
Since the end of the twentieth century ethnological research is conducted by specialists of leading scientific establishments of Ukraine, museums and out-of-school educational institutions of Kharkivshchyna, Sumshchyna, Donechchyna and Luhanshchyna, because folk culture is an important factor in the consolidation of the Ukrainian nation. That is why the support of the state and the strict implementation of nation-building principles by state bodies are so important.
Slobozhanshchyna, ethnology, ethnography, museum, open-air museum (skansen), ethnomusicology, folkloristics.
- ARTIUSHENKO, Mykola. History of Boromlia. From the Most Ancient Times to the Present Days. Trostianets, 1999, 672 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- ASTAKHOVA, Olena, Tetiana KRUPA and Valentyna SUSHKO. Holidays and Life of Slobozhanshchyna: Album. 2nd ed., supplemented. Kharkiv: Koloryt, 2008, 143 pp: ill. (Ukrainian Collection Series) [in Ukrainian].
- BASHKINA, Vira. Folk Women’s Costume of the Late 19th – Early 20th Century (From the Ethnographic Collection of Luhansk Regional Museum of Local History). Luhansk, 1993, 10 pp. [in Russian].
- BERDUTA, Mykhailo, Olena SOLOSHENKO. Peculiarities of Rituals and Customs of Slobozhanshchyna (18th – 19th Centuries). Collection of Scientific Papers of Kharkov Institute of Social Progress. Kharkov: KhISP, 2001, iss. 6, pp. 92–99 [in Ukrainian].
- BOIKO, O., Myroslava SEMENOVA. Peasant Dreams. In: Mykhailo KRASYKOV, Myroslava SEMENOVA, eds. Krokoveye Kolo. Materials of the 7thRegional Pupil Theoretical and Practical Ethnological Conference (March 4, 2000). Kharkiv: Folio, 2001, pp. 21–22 [in Ukrainian].
- VIKHROVA, T. Ukrainian Rushnyk in the Collection of the Luhansk Regional Museum of Local History. Luhansk: Svitlytsia, 1998, 24 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- VOROPAI, Maryna. Ethnic Culture of Ukrainians of North-Eastern Slobozhanshchyna in the Second Half of the 20th – Early 21st Centuries: Extended Abstract of a Ph.D. in History Thesis. Speciality 07.00.05 – Ethnology. Kyiv, 2009, 27 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- OSADCHA, Vira. Childhood and Folk Culture of Slobozhanshchyna: Materials of Folklore and Ethnographic Expeditions of 1992–2000. Kharkiv Regional Centre of FolkWorks. Kharkiv: Rehion-inform, 2000, 152 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- DIACHENKO, M. Ethnographic Collection of the Kharkiv State Historical Museum. In: Maksym RYLSKYI, ed.-in-chief. Folk Art and Ethnography, 1958, no. 3, pp. 154–156 [in Ukrainian].
- KOVAL, Olha, Tetiana KOVAL. Attire of Ukrainians of Slobozhanshchyna of the 20th Century: After the Materials of Folk Artistic Folklore and Ethnographic Collective “Verbychenka” of the Nova Vodolaha House of Children’s and Youthful Creations. Valentyna SUSHKO, ed. Kharkiv: Tim Publish Hrup, 2017, 100pp., ill. [in Ukrainian].
- KOVAL, Olha, Tetiana KOVAL. Resonators of Nova Vodolaha: Folklore, Ethnographic, Local History Studies of the Exemplary Artistic Folklore and Ethnographic Collective “Verbychenka”. Prefaced by Valentyna SUSHKO. Kharkiv: PP Yakubenko, 2007, 224 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KOVAL, Olha, O. CHASNYK. Fate and Signs, which Foretell It. Folk Demonology (After the Materials of Folklore and Ethnographic Expeditions through Kharkivshchyna). In: Mykhailo KRASYKOV, Myroslava SEMENOVA, eds. Krokoveye Kolo. Materials of theRegional Pupil Theoretical and Practical Ethnological Conferences (2000-2002). Kharkiv: TO “Ekskliuzyv”, 2003, pp. 60–65 [in Ukrainian].
- KORSHAK, T. Holidays and Rites of Okhtyrka District. Sumy, 1993, 30 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KRASYKOV, Mykhailo, N. OLIYNYK, Vira OSADCHA, Myroslava SEMENOVA, compilers. Muravsky Trail – 97: Materials of a Complex Folklore and Ethnographic Expedition. Kharkiv: Kharkiv State Institute of Culture, 1998, 360 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- NOVYKOVA, Larysa, compiler. Songs of Slobidska Ukraine. Phonographic Collection: Songs of Kharkivshchyna. Kharkiv: Maidan, 1996, 188pp. [in Ukrainian].
- NOVYKOVA, Larysa, compiler. Songs of Slobidska Ukraine. Folklore Collection: Records from Lebedynshchyna. Kharkiv: Maidan, 1998, 200pp. [in Ukrainian].
- POTEBNIA, Aleksandr. Symbol and Myth in Folk Culture. Compiled, prepared and commented by Andrei TOPORKOV. Moscow: Labirint, 2000, 479 pp. [in Russian].
- PURDIA, Ihor. Lost Temples of Balakliyshchyna. Kharkiv: FOP Brovin O. V., 2016, 192 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- SKLIAR, Volodymyr. Ethnolinguistic Processes in the Ukrainian Space: 1989–2001: A Monograph. T. Shevchenko Kyiv National University. Kharkiv, 2009, 544 pp. Bibliography: pp. 365–392 [in Ukrainian].
- SKLIAR, Volodymyr. Ethnic Structure of the Population of Ukraine in 1959–1989: Ethnolinguistic Results of Russification: A Monograph. Kyiv: Prosvita, 2008, 391pp. [in Ukrainian].
- SOKOLIUK, Liudmyla. School of Rayevska-Ivanova: Artistic and Industrial Education in Kharkiv (Mid to Late 19th – Early 20th Century). Kharkiv: Publisher Oleksandr Savchuk, 2020, 248 pp., 311 ill. [in Ukrainian].
- SUSHKO, Valentyna. Ethnographic Collection of the Kharkiv Historical Museum (History of Formation, State and Prospects). In: Mykola KOSTRYTSIA, ed.-in-chief. Museum Cause in Zhytomyrshchyna: History, Experience, Problems: Scientific Collection “Great Volhynia”: Works of Zhytomyr Scientific and Local History Society of the Investigators of Volhynia. Zhytomyr: Kosenko, 2005, vol. 33, pp. 161–167 [in Ukrainian].
- LUKIANETS, Halyna, compiler, preface authoress. Traditional Folk Costume of Kharkivshchyna: An Album. Photos by I. BILOUSOV. Kharkiv: Tochka, 2018, 138,  pp.: col. ill. [in Ukrainian].
- 24. SEMENOVA, Myroslava, compiler. Traditional Folk Culture of Dvorichna Districtin Kharkiv Oblast: Materials of the Folklore-Ethnographic Expeditions through the Villages of Dvorichna Raionin Kharkiv Oblast of 1992–1993. Kharkiv Regional Centre of Folk Works. Kharkiv: Rehion-inform, 2001, 159 pp.: music, ill. (Muravsky Trail – 2001 Series) [in Ukrainian].
- PONOMARIOV, Anatoliy, Tamara KOSMINA and Olena BORIAK, compilers. Ukrainians: Folk Beliefs, Superstitions, Demonology. Prefaced by Anatoliy PONOMARIOV. 2nd ed. Kyiv: Lybid, 1992, 637,  pp.: ill. (Monuments of Historical Thought of Ukraine) [in Ukrainian].