a Ph.D. in History, a researcher at the NASU M. Rylskyi IASFE Ukrainian Ethnological Centre DepartmentORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2946-8243
Studies of Ukrainian Ornamentation by Olga Kosach: Scientific and Intercultural Cross-Sections of the Source Base
The article deals with the systematization of the source base for the studies of the Ukrainian ornamentation by O. Kosach (Olena Pchilka). Information on nine reprints of the album of patterns of Ukrainian folk embroidery has been collected. New sources, which were not previously the subject of study of Ukrainian ethnological science, have been introduced into scientific circulation. For the first time, a Ukrainian translation of Olga Kosach’s “Folk Ornament of Ukraine,” an unknown French-language article among domestic scholars, was published in the Parisian magazine “Chronicle of Nationalities. Bulletin of the Union of Nationalities,” 1913. As a result of the processing of the waste base of foreign literature, including the periodicals, catalogs, reference books, bibliographic indexes, Encyclopedic editions of France, England, Germany, Switzerland, USA, Russia, the Czech Republic, the information on studies of folk ornaments by Olena Pchilka was found. The studied sources are classified according to the thematic-chronological principle on the author sources, reviews, literature with references to O. Kosach’s albums, editions with a bibliography of her works on ornamentation, and publications with reflections on their value.
Ukrainian ornament, embroidery, folk patterns, traditional clothes, Kosach Olga Petrivna, Olena Pchilka.
- AHEIEVA, Vira. How Olena Pchilka Introduced the Fashion for Vyshyvankas and the Ukrainian Language. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/blogs-49007856 (accessed July 28, 2019). [in Ukrainian].
- BILIASHIVSKKYI, Mykola. About Ukrainian Ornament. Notes of the Ukrainian Scientific Society in Kyiv. Kyiv, 1908. vol. 3, pp. 40–53. [in Ukrainian].
- BORSCHAK, Elko. Ukraine in the literature of Western Europe. Kyiv : M. S. Hryshevsky Institute of Ukrainian Archeography and Sourct Studies, 2000, 365 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- VASYL LUKYCH. Ukrainian Ornament. Star. Lviv, 1881. № 2, pp. 22. [in Ukrainian].
- VASYL LUKYCH. Ukrainian Ornament. Star. Lviv, 1881. № 3, pp. 37–38. [in Ukrainian].
- VASYL LUKYCH. Ukrainian Ornament. Star. Lviv, 1881. № 1, pp. 10–12. [in Ukrainian].
- Documents, News and Notes. Poltava Congress of Handicraft Industry Workers. Kiev antiquity. 1901, № 12, pp. 175–176. [in Russian].
- DONTSOV D. Olena Pchilka. Literary-Scientific Bulletin. Lviv–Ternopil. 1931, Book. 5, vol. 106, pp. 439–452. [in Ukrainian].
- DRAHOMANOV, Mykhailo. Ukrainian Literature Scribbled by the Russian Government = Dragomanov M. La littérature oukraînienne proscrite par le gouvernement russe, Lviv : Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, 2001, 94 pp.
- DRAHOMANOV, Mykhailo. Austro-Russian Memories (1867–1877). / Literary and Journalistic Works in Two Volumes. vol. 2. Kyiv : Scientific thought, 1970, pp. 151–238. [in Ukrainian].
- «I will Share a Word with my Brothers»: Biobibliographic Index; Lutsk : Stronghold, 2009, 112 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KAMINSKY, Viacheslav. Ukrainian Patterns. Collected by Olena Pchilka (O. Kosach). Fifth Edition. Ethnographic Bulletin. 1927, Book 4, pp. 118. [in Ukrainian].
- KONSTANTYNIVSKA, Oksana. Ethnographic Activity of Olena Pchilka. Materials of III - V Scientific Seminars «The Role of Prominent Personalities - Artists, Scientists and Cultural Figures in the Formation of National Identity in the Late 19th– early 20th century». Kyiv : MOFUC, 2011, pp. 332–345. [in Ukrainian].
- KONSTANTYNIVSKA, Oksana. To the History of the Publication «Ukrainian Folk Ornament. Embroidery, Fabrics, Easter eggs. Collected and Brought into the System Olga P. Kosacheva. Kiev: typography S.V. Kulzhenko, 1876». Collection of Abstracts of the Scientific Seminar «The Role of Prominent Personalities - Artists, Scientists and Cultural Figures in the Formation of National Identity in the Late 19th - early 20th century». Kyiv. 2020, pp. 54–64. [in Ukrainian].
- KONSTANTYNIVSKA, Oksana. She Conquered Paris and Laced her Thoughts. Ukraine is Young. 2020, № 59, p. 12. [in Ukrainian].
- KONSTANTYNIVSKA, Oksana. Trolls and Olena Pchilka. Ukraine is Young. 2020, № 95, pp. 12. [in Ukrainian].
- KOSACHEVA, Olga. Ukrainian Folk Ornament. Samples of Embroidery, Fabrics and Pysanky. Kiev : S. V. Kulzhenko, 1879, 19 pp., 15 tabl. [in Russian].
- KOSACHEVA, Olga. Ukrainian Folk Ornament. Embroidery, Fabrics, Pysanky. Kiev : S. V. Kulzhenko, 1876, 23 pp., 31 tabl. [in Russian].
- KOSACH-KRYVYNIUK, Olga. Lesya Ukrainka: Chronology of Life and Work. New York, 1970, 923 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KOSMINA, Oksana.Ukrainian Ornaments in Paris 1878. Olena Pchilka’s Album: Myths, Fictions, Reality. Available from: http://likbez.org.ua/ua/ukrayinska-ukrayinski-ornamenti-v-parizhi-1878-albom-oleni-pchilki-mifi-vigadki-realnist.html (accessed August 25, 2020). [in Ukrainian].
- Literature of Russian Geography, Statistics and Ethnography for 1877 and 1878. St. Petersburg. 1881, vol. 8, 319 pp. [in Russian].
- MYSHCHENKO, Liudmyla. From the Last Century. Memories. For a Hundred Years. 1929, Book 4, pp. 106–160. [in Ukrainian].
- O.Z. Olena Pchilka. New House. 1930, №11, Lviv. p. 3. [in Ukrainian].
- OLENA PCHILKA. Autobiography. / Story. With an Autobiography. Kharkiv : Movement, 1930, pp. 1–46. [in Ukrainian].
- OLENA PCHILKA. Ukrainian Peasant Painting on the Walls. Notes of the Historical and Philological Department. Kyiv : All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, 1929, Book. 23, pp. 177–188. [in Ukrainian].
- OLIYNYK, Maryna. Ukrainian Embroidery as an Ethnographic Phenomenon in the Work of Olena Pchilka: Reflections of the Late 19th – Early 20th Century and Modern Discourse. Contemporary Problems of National and Cultural Identity: Regional Dimension: Collection of Scientific Articles Based on the Materials of the All-Ukrainian Scientific-Practical Conference September 24–25, 2020. Poltava : PNPU, 2020, pp. 340–352. [in Ukrainian].
- PELENSKYI, Yevhen.-Yu. Ukrainica in Western European Languages. Notes of the Shevchenko Scientific Society. Munich, 1948, vol. 158, 111 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- REDIN, Yehor.K. Foreword. / Lytvynova P.Ya. South Russian Folk Ornament. Chernigov Province (Districts: Konotopsky, Krolevetsky, Novgorod-Seversky and Starodubsky). Kyiv, 1902, Issue 2, pp. 3–5. [in Russian].
- REKLIU, Elize. The Earth and People. General Geography. vol. 5. St.–Petersburg : Publication of A. Ilyin’s cartographic institution, 1883, 512 pp. [in Russian].
- Various News. Anniversary of Olena Pchilka. New house. 1929, № 7, Lviv, pp. 9. [in Ukrainian].
- RUSOVA, Sofiia. Olena Pchilka (Olha Petrivna Kosach). Our Outstanding Women. Kolomyia: Women’s Destiny, 1934, pp. 39–43. [in Ukrainian].
- Collections of Little Russian Ornamentation. (Ukrainian ornament O. Kosach, South Russian Ornament of Volkov, South Russian Folk Ornament of P. Litvinova, Collections of «Ukrainian Ornament» - A. Lysenko, Makhno, Kvitka and others). Kiev Antiquity. 1882, № 11, pp. 365–367. [in Russian].
- Ukrainian Patterns. Collected by Olena Pchilka. Kyiv : S. V. Kulzhenko, 1902, 15 tabl. [in Russian].
- Ukrainian Folk Jrnament by Olga Petrovna Kosach. Kyiv: «Adef-Ukraine», 2018, 140 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainian Folk Ornament: Embroidery. Fabrics, Pysanky. Collected by Olena Pchilka. Reprint Reproduction of the First Edition. Kyiv, 1876, Kovel : Kovel city printing house, 2010, 36 pp., 33 tabl. [in Russian].
- Ukrainian Patterns / Collected by Olena Pchilka. Novograd-Volynsky: Novograd, 2007, 6 pp., 10 tabl. [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainian Patterns / Collected by Olena Pchilka (O. Kosach). Kyiv : S.V. Kulzhenko, 1912. 1 pp., 12 tabl. [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainian Patterns / Collected by Olena Pchilka (O. Kosach). New Ulm, 1947, 4 pp., 10 tabl. [in Ukrainian].
- FRANKO, Ivan. Collection of Works in Fifty Volumes. vol. 33. Kyiv : Scientific thought, 1982, 527 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- FRANKO, Ivan. Collection of Works in Fifty Volumes. vol. 49. Kyiv : Scientific thought, 1986, 810 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- SHEROTSKY, Kost. Motives of the Ukrainian Ornament. Ukrainian life. 1912, № 11 pp. 64–70. [in Russian].
- Encyclopedic Dictionary. vol. XVI. [Publisher F.A.Brockhaus, I.A.Efron] St.-Petersburg, 1895, 480 pp. [in Russian].
- A Biographical Dictionary of Women’s Movements and Feminisms in Central, Eastern, and South Eastern Europe : 19th and 20th Centuries by Francisca. [Edited and with an Introduction by Francisca de Haan, Krassimira Daskalova, Anna Loutfi] Budapest ; New York : Central European University Press, 2006, 698 pp. [in English].
- Bibliography of Costume. Compiled by Hilaire and Meyer Hiler. New York : The H. W. Wilson Company, 1939, 911 pp. [in English].
- BORSHCHAK, Ilko. Ukraine in Western European Literature. The Slavic World. Paris, 1934, vol. 2. № 4. pp. 136–147. [in French].
- International Literary Congress of Paris: AT the Offices OF the Society Of Letters, 1878, Paris, 1879. 682 pp. [in French].
- DRAGOMANOV, Mykhailo. Ukrainian Literature Banned by the Russian Government. Geneva : Georg, Bookseller – Publisher, 1878, 42 pp. [in French].
- DRAGOMANOV, Mykhailo. Tyrannicide in Russia and the Action of Western Europe. Geneva : «Worker» and «Community» Printing Works, 1881, 18 pp. [in French].
- KOSATCH, Olga. The Folk Ornament of Ukraine. Annals of Nationality. Bulletin of the Union of Nationalities. 1913, № 3–4, pp. 159–164. [in French].
- KOSATCH, Olga. The Ukrainian Folk Ornament. Embroidery, Fabrics, Pissanki. Collected and Put into System by Ms. Olga Kossatch. Kiev, 1877, 1879, 17 pp., 15 tabl. [in French].
- Otto’s Educational Dictionary. Illustrated Encyclopedia General Knowledge Fourteenth Volume. Prague, 1899, 1067 pp. [in Czech].
- Periodicals. Critical Review of History and Literature. Paris, 1881, № 24. [in French].
- RAMBAUD, Alfred. Little Russia. The Political and Literary Review. 1876, № 26, pp. 608–614. [in French].
- RECLUS, Elisee. New Universal Geography: Earth and Men. Paris, 1880, vol. 5, 941 pp. [in French].
- RECLUS, Elisee. New Universal Geography the Earth and Men. vol. 4. Milan, 1894, 1005 pp.
- SCHNEIDER, Friedrich. The Ornament of 1’Ukraine Was Collected by O. Kossatch, Kieff. German Literature Newspaper. Berlin, 1881, № 22, pp. 900–901. [in German].
- Selected Books. The Academy. London, 1881. vol. 19, № 460, pp. 155. [in English].
- Stray Leaves. The Examiner. 1879, pp. 1226. [in English].
- Analytical Table of Contents. The Political and Literary Review. Review of Literary Courses (2nd series). 1877, № 53, pp. 1267–1272. [in French].
- Theodor Muller. Book and Art Catalog: Total Publishing House Rftalog of the German Book Trade and Foreign Countries in Direct Contact with It. Muenster, 1881, vol. 14, pp. 451. [in German].
- Directory of Major Meetings. Repertory for Art History. Stuttgart, 1881, vol. 4, pp. 473–474. [in German].