a post-graduate student of the NAS of Ukraine Maksym Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folkloristics and Ethnology
Clothes as an Instrument of Child Socialization
in Ukrainian Traditional Culture of the Late 19th – Early 20th Century
The significance of children’s clothing in the processes of child socialization is considered in the article. Symbolically illustrating age-related changes in a person’s life, clothes in Ukrainian traditional culture is known with a social function. According to the materials of the late 19th – mid to late 20th century, changes in a child’s clothing from birth to adolescence can be traced in the context of its involvement into social life.
Children’s attire as a special phenomenon of traditional culture reflects a number of archaic ideas used in ritual actions with clothes. Having a practical function, the appearance of some components in the child’s wardrobe indicates a change in status and also has a symbolic, magical character.
The system of ideas and practices in traditional children’s clothing of Ukrainians has combined both the necessary adaptation to the child’s physical growth and the acquisition of certain traits and qualities aimed at a successful future. The child’s age, performance of certain functions and status in the community are closely related to established standards of appearance. From the point of view of childhood, as a mirror of civilization, traditional children’s clothing is an important component for understanding the peculiarities of archaic Ukrainian society.
children’s clothes, folk clothes, traditional costume, child socialization, Ukrainian traditional culture, childhood.
- HOSHKO, Yurii, ed.-in-chief. Boikivshchyna. Historical and Ethnographic Research. Kyiv: Scientific Thought, 1983, 304 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- BORYSENKO, Valentyna. Family Rites of Ukrainians of the 20th – Early 21st Century. Hanna SKRYPNYK, ed.-in-chief. Kyiv: NAS of Ukraine M. Rylskyi IASFE, 2016, 256 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- VASIANOVYCH, Oleksandr. Some Peculiarities of Attire of the Suburbian Gentry of Zhytomyr Oblast of the Second Half of the 19th – Early 20th Century. In: Mykhailo SELIVACHOV, ed. National Costume as an Expression of National Identity: Collected Scientific Papers. Kyiv, 2008, pp. 140–145 [in Ukrainian].
- VOVK, Fedir. Studies in Ukrainian Ethnography and Anthropology: New Edition. Kharkiv: O. O. Savchuk Publisher, 2015, 464 pp., 199 ills. [in Ukrainian].
- VOROPAI, Oleksa. Customs of Our People: An Ethnographic Essay. Kyiv: Protector, 1993, 590 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- HAVRYLIUK, Natalia. Mapping Phenomena of Spiritual Culture (After the Materials of Ukrainians’ Birth Rituals). Kyiv: Scientific Thought, 1981, 278 pp. [in Russian].
- HORYN, Hanna. Public Life of the Rural Population of the Carpathians (19th – the 1930s). Kyiv, 1993, 200 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- HRUSHEVSKYI, Marko. A child in the Customs and Beliefs of the Ukrainian People: A Collection. Kyiv: Lybid, 2006, 253 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- HUROSHEVA, Natalia. Traditional Ukrainian Children’s Clothing. Folk Art and Ethnography, 1995, no. 1, pp. 77–82 [in Ukrainian].
- DERLYTSIA, Mykola. Peasant Children. In: Ivan FRANKO, ed. Ethnographic Collection. Published by Ethnographic Commission of the Shevchenko Scientific Society. Lviv: From the ShSS Printing-House, 1895–1929. Vol. 5, 1898. Vol. 6, 267 pp.; pp. 121–140 [in Ukrainian].
- SKRYPNYK, Hanna, ed.‑in‑chief. Ethnographic Image of Modern Ukraine. Corpus of Expeditionary Folklore and Ethnographic Materials. Vol. 10. Traditional Everyday and Ceremonial Clothing. NAS of Ukraine; M. Rylskyi IASFE. Kyiv, 2018, 640 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- ZABLOVSKYI, Andrii. Child Socialization in the Traditional Culture of Ukrainians of the 19th – Early 20th Centuries: Ritual-Aritual Aspects. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University. Kyiv, 2004, pp. 76–80 [in Ukrainian].
- IVANOV, Petr. Ethnographic Materials Collected in Kupiansk County of Kharkiv Governorate. Ethnographic Review, 1897, no.1, pp. 22–81 [in Russian].
- IHNATENKO, Iryna. The Male Body in the Traditional Culture of Ukrainians. Kharkiv: Book Club of Family Leisure, 2016, 224 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KIS, Oksana. A Woman in Traditional Ukrainian Culture of the Second Half of the 19th – Early 20th Century. Lviv: NAS of Ukraine Institute of Ethnology, 2nd ed., 2012, 287 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- KOTSAN, Vasyl. Ethnocultural Markers in the Context of Borderlands: Traditional Folk Clothing and Identity of the Population of Transcarpathia of the 19th – Early 21st Century. Qualifying scientific work on manuscript rights. NAS of Ukraine Institute of Ethnology, NAS of Ukraine Ivan Krypiakevych Institute of Ukrainian Studies. Lviv, 2021 [online]. Available from: https://chtyvo.org.ua/authors/Kotsan_Vasyl/Etnokulturni_markery_v_konteksti_pohranych_tradytsiinyi_narodnyi_odiah_ta_identychnist_naselennia_Za/ [in Ukrainian].
- KRIMER, Borys. Transformation of Natality in Ukraine at the Early Stages of the Demographic Transition. Demography and Social Economy, 2018, no. 2, pp. 67–81 [in Ukrainian].
- MAIERCHYK, Mariia. Ritual and the Body: Structural-Semantic Analysis of Ukrainian Rites of Family Cycle. Kyiv: Criticism, 2011, 327 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- ZAHLADA, Nina. Materials for Ethnology. Vol. 1: Life of a Peasant Child: Materials for the Monograph of a Village of Starosillia. All-Ukrainian AS; Kh. Vovk Museum of Anthropology and Ethnology. Kyiv, 1929, 179 pp., 6 pp.: ills., tab. + music [in Ukrainian].
- Materials for Ukrainian-Ruthenian Ethnology: [In 22 Volumes]. ShSS in Lviv, Ethnographic Commission. Lviv: From ShSS Printing-House, 1899–1929. Vol. 9: A Child in the Customs and Beliefs of Ukrainian People: Materials from the Southern Kyiv Oblast. Collected by Mykhailo HRUSHEVSKYI; treated by Zenon Kuzelia. 1907, 23, 144 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- MILORADOVICH, Vasily. Folk Rites and Songs of Lubny County of Poltava Governorate, Recorded in 1888–1895. Collection of Kharkiv Historical and Philological Society. Kharkiv: Governorate Board of Directors Printing-House, 1897, vol. 16, pp. 1–223 [in Russian].
- ONYSHCHUK, Antin. From the Hutsuls’ National Life. In: Khvedir VOVK, ed.-in-chief. Materials for Ukrainian-Ruthenian Ethnology, vol. 15. Ethnographic Commission of the Shevchenko Scientific Society in Lviv. Lviv: From the Shevchenko Scientific Society Printing-House, 1912, pp. 91–113 [in Ukrainian].
- PASTUSCHYN, Vasyl. Drochevo of Brest District in Polissia (A Monograph). Hanna SKRYPNYK, ed.-in-chief; prefaced by Valentyna BORYSENKO. Kyiv: M. T. Rylskyi IASFE, 2014, 128 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- PONOMAR, Liudmyla. Folk Clothing of the Right Bank Polissia of the Mid 19th – Mid 20th Centuries. Historical and Ethnographic Atlas. Vocabulary. Kyiv: Biznespolihraf, 2015, 268 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- SVARNYK, Liudmyla. Chemise of Central Polissia (Constructive-Technological and Customary Aspects). Scientific Proceedings of the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life in Lviv. Lviv, 2008, iss. 2, pp. 105–118 [in Ukrainian].
- STELMASHCHUK, Halyna. Ukrainian Folk Headdresses. Lviv: Apriori, 2013, 276 pp. [in Ukrainian].
- TYVODAR, Mykhailo. Ethnography of Transcarpathia: Historical and Ethnographic Essay. Uzhhorod: Hrazhda, 2011, 416 pp.: ills. [in Ukrainian].
- CHUBINSKY, Pavel. Proceedings of Ethnographic-Statistical Expedition to the Western-Russian Land, Equipped by the Imperial Russian Geographical Society. South-Western Department. Materials and Studies: In Seven Volumes. Saint-Petersburg, 1872–1878. Vol. 4: Rites: Celebration of Child Birth, Christening, Wedding, Funeral. Published under the supervision of Nikolai KOSTOMAROV. Saint-Petersburg: Printing-House of V. Kirshbaum. 1877. 30, 713, 45 pp.: music [in Russian].
- SHUHEVYCH, Volodymyr. Hutsulshchyna. In: Khvedir VOVK, ed. Materials for Ukrainian-Ruthenian Ethnology: [In 22 Volumes]. ShSS in Lviv, Etnographic Commission. Lviv: From the ShSS Printing-House, 1899–1929. Vol. 5: The Third Part. 1902. , 255,  pp.: ills., music [in Ukrainian].
- SHCHERBIY, Hryhoriy. Symbolism of the Folk Costume. In: Anatolii PONOMARIOV, Lidiia ARTIUKH, Tamara KOSMINA. Ukrainian Past: Illustrated Ethnographic Reference Book. Kyiv: Lybid, 1993, pp. 133–138 [in Ukrainian].
- YASTREBOV, Vladimir. Ritual Haircut of Children. Kyivan Past. Kyiv, 1895, vol. 15, pp. 122–125 [in Russian].