a Ph.D. in Philology, a senior researcher at Ethnology of Modern Times Department of the Institute of Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine
Christian Religiousness in the Ukrainians’ Traditional Calendar Rites: Investigational Aspects
Folk religious beliefs are the important component of the people consciousness and traditional culture. It is connected with the ancient concepts on the supernatural-divine origin of the surrounding world and the person existence in it. The issue of the national religiosity manifestation in the Ukrainians ethno-cultural tradition in general and calendar rites in particular belongs to such interesting urgent problems, which are little and not enough studied, especially in Ethnology.
The work is aimed to consider the main aspects of the Christian religiousness investigation in the Ukrainians traditional calendar rites, to prove the necessity to continue the studies over the problem of Ukrainian ethno-cultural tradition connection with religious (the Christian-religious properly) world-view of the nation and the need to investigate thoroughly the forms of people religiosity and to introduce the texts of calendar rites, reflecting the manifestations of Ukrainians national Christian religiousness into the scientific circulation of modern Ethnology and Folkloristics.
As our field investigations have shown, nowadays people remember not much fragments from those specific forms of national religiousness. These are chiefly some ritual-customary performances, the texts (folklore for the most part), connected with them, information about the supernatural phenomena, miracles, beliefs and the notions on them, etc.
The scientific novelty of the work is mainly in the argumentation of the studies extension over the problem of the Ukrainian ethno-cultural tradition connection with the people religious world-view. It is also in the definition of the main aspects of the national religiosity investigation in the Ukrainians calendar rites system.
Such work enables to prepare the extended study of the national Christian religiousness in the Ukrainians traditional calendar rites in Ethnology and Folkloristics; to consider a number of issues, which have not been noticed by anterior scientists. The typical manifestations of the folklore text dynamics and the peculiar transformation, development of ancient traditional beliefs and notions about good and evil, sin and punishment, sin and repentance, as well as the end of the world or its renewal, the antichrist coming, etc. are considered on the base of the comparative analysis of the national religiousness specific forms. Such investigation should introduce a considerable archival and new field material into scientific circulation of modern Ethnology and Folkloristics.
folk religiosity, calendar rites, tradition, beliefs, functioning.
- Archival Scientific Funds of Manuscripts and Audio-Recordings of the M. Rylskyi Institute of Art Studies, Folkloristics and Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine, fund 15-3, issue unit 239–246.
- Hoshko Yu. (ed.-in-chief) (1983) Boykivshchyna:A Historical and Ethnographic Study (Hoshko Yu. (ed.-in-chief), P. Zholtovskyi, R. Chuhay, R. Kyrchiv, M. Mozdyr). Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 304 pp.
- Voropay O. (1993) Customs of Our People. AnEthnographic Essay. Kyiv: Oberih, 592 pp.
- Hnatiuk V. (1914) Christmas Carols and New Year Songs. The Ethnographic Collection. Lviv, Vol. XXXVI, 270 pp.
- Golovatskiy Ya. (1878) Folk Songs of Halychyna Rusand Hungarian Rus. Moscow: V Universitetskoy tipografii (M. Kotkov), Pt.1–2, 841 pp.
- Hrushevskyi M. (1994) The History of Ukrainian Literature: in SixVolumes, Nine Books (compiled by L. Kopanytsia, annotated by S. Rosovetskyi). Kyiv: Lybid, Vol. 4: Oral Folk Art of Late Principality’s and Transitional (XIIIth to XVIIth) Centuries, Bk 2, 320 pp.
- State Archives of Vinnytsia Region, fund 595, issue unit 5, 118 sheets.
- A domestic archive of the author.
- Durkheim E. (2002) TheElementary Forms of Religious Life. A Totem Systemin Australia (transl. from French by H. Filipchuk and Z. Borysiuk; scientifically edited by T. Meteliova). Kyiv: Yunivers, 424 pp.
- Diakiv V. (2005) The Miracle Theme in Ukrainian Folklore and Folklore Studies. The Ethnological Notebooks. Lviv, №1–2, pp. 67–82.
- (1882) Zoria, №2.
- Zubrytskyi M. (1900) Folk Calendar. Folk Customs and Superstitions Associated with Days of Week and Annual Holidays. Materials for Ukrainian-RuthenianEthnology, Vol.3, pp. 33–60.
- (1973) Calendar Customs and Rituals in Countriesof Foreign Europe (XIXth to Early XXth Century). Moscow: Nauka, 351 pp.
- Kyrchiv R. (2017) The History of Ukrainian FolkloreStudies. Vol. 1: Pre-Romantic and Romantic FolkloreStudies. Lviv, 524 pp.
- Kravchenko V. (1927) “Psalm Canticles”, Sung in 1923–24 by Pilgrims While Peregrinating to Various Miraculous Places]. TheEthnographicalBulletin. Kyiv, Bk 4, pp.71–78.
- Krut Yu. (1973) Ritual Poetry of Grain-GrowingSlavs. Kyiv, 208 pp.
- Kurochkin O. (1978) New Year’s Holidaysof the Ukrainians. Traditions and Modernity. Kyiv, 191 pp.
- Kukharonak T. (2001) Masks in Calendar Rituals ofthe Belarusians. Minsk: Uradzhay, Vol.I, 239 pp., ill.
- Noll V. (1999) Transformation of CivilSociety. Oral History of the 1920–30 Ukrainian PeasantCulture. Kyiv: Tsentr doslidzhennia usnoyi istoriyi ta ukrayinskoyi kultury RODOVID, 560 pp.
- Panchenko A. (2006) New Religious Movements and Folklore Student’s Work. Dreams of theMother of God. Studies on Anthropology of Religion (ed. by Zh. Kormina, A. Panchenko, S. Shtyrkova). Saint Petersburg, pp. 119–129.
- Sokolova V. (1979) Vernal and Aestival CalendarRites of Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarusians in theXIXth to Early XXth Century. Moscow, 287 pp.
- Stepovyi O. (1946) Lights in a Church.Modern Ukrainian Folk Legends. Augsburg, 16 pp.
- (1877) Proceedingsof an Ethnographical-Statistical Expedition to theWestern-Russian Territory. Saint Petersburg, Vol.2, pp. 227–467.
- Pashchenko Ye. (compiled, prefaced, and annotated by) (2008) Ukrainian Political Folklore. Kyiv: Mykola Dmytrenko, 100 pp.
- Franko I. (1981) Ivan Vyshenskyi and His Works. FrankoI. Collected Works in 50 Volumes.Vol. 30: LiteraryCriticalWorks(1900–1902). Kyiv: Naukova dumka, pp. 7–211.
- Dołęga Chodakowski Z. (1818) O Sławiańszczyźnie przed Chrześciaństwem. ĆwiczeniaNaukowe. Krzemieniec, Vol. 2, № 5, pp. 3–27.
- Michalska M. (2006) Religijność napograniczu. Czeski Cieszyn, 320 pp.
- Rehór Fr. (1895) Kalendařik z narodniho života Bojkův. Zlatá Praha, №44–50.
- Wagilewicz D. J. Demonologia słowiańska. V. StefanykNationalScientificLibrary,ManuscriptDepartment, FundofI. Vahylevych, № 39, folder 9, sheets 1–46.
- Wagilewicz D. J. Kronika ludu z demonologii słowiańskiej. V. Stefanyk National Scientific Library, Manuscript Department, Fund of I. Vahylevych, № 39, folder 15, sheets 1–63.