a coordinating manager of dean’s office of Philosophy Faculty of Ivan Franko Lviv National University, an aspirant
Imprinting as a Systemic Mechanism of the National Memory Formation
Imprinting is qualified as a complex paradoxical virtue not to forget, that is, to impress forever all the influences of the outer world, and at the same time – as a property to forget or engrave information.
The imprinting phenomenon has been described for the first time by J. Heinroth and K. Lorenz (imprinting is literally from the English imprint – to leave a trace, fix, memorize).
Imprinting, as a practically unperceived impression, lays moments of so-called imprinting sensitiveness, first of all – on the early development stages of the personality or society. That is to say, imprinting occurs in the specific time periods and it is limited in time.
Recognition and use of imprinting as a mechanism of social memory should find a versatile, practical reflection in the national and patriotic upbringing of the younger generation (first of all in the preschool education), counter-propaganda, legal practice.
People are able to comprehend the area of the native culture, the people world outlook, its linguistic picture of the world, its historical memory only associating and getting education in their native language. The view that people see the world differently, through the prism of their native language, lies at the heart of the linguistic relativity theory by Edward Sapir and Benjamin Lee Whorf. Affirming the idea of cultural and preserving, cultural and creating functions of the native language, Ukrainian linguist N. Dziubyshyna-Melnyk has noticed: The mother tongue is a language of culture, in which context a child (a person) isbrought up. If there is a native culture – there will be a native language, if the native culture is absent –there is no native language, but there is a language of communication.
The imprinting recognition as a mechanism for coding, preservation and translation of national and cultural memory has a multi-vector practical meaning. It directs reasonably the ethnic and national culturological investigations to study deep covert mechanisms, the formation of social and cultural reality in Ukraine, taking into account its regional subcultural peculiarities.
phenomenon, imprinting, identity, culture of safety.
- Bersnev P. (2008) Mind’sLabyrinths. Saint Petersburg: Amfora, 462 pp.
- Dziubyshyna-Melnyk N. (2002) A NaturalLanguage Conception in Context of Modern Realties. Fifth International Congress ofUkrainians. Lectures and Messages. Chernivtsi, pp. 155–158.
- Donchenko Ye. (1994) Societal Psychic Setup. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 208 pp.
- Donchenko Ye. (2005) Fractal Psychic Setup.Innermost Principles of Individual and SocietalActivities. Kiev: Znannia, 326 pp.
- Krymskyi S. (2003) Requirements for Philosophical Senses. Kyiv: PARAPAN, 240 pp.
- Pankin S. (2006) Religious Anthropology:A Conspectus of Lectures. Moscow: Flinta, 200 pp.
- Radevych-Vynnytskyi Ya. (1997) Ukraine: From Language to Nation. Drohobych: Vidrodzhennia, 239 pp.
- Starodubtseva L. (2003) MnemosyneandLethe. MemoryandOblivioninHistoryofCulture;AMonograph. Kharkov: KhGAK, 696 pp.
- Wilson R. A. (1998) Psychology of Evolution. Kiev, 304 pp.