a Doctor of History, a professor at Department of History of All-the-World Ukrainians of Faculty of History of the Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University
Return of Historical and Cultural Values to Ukraine: Achievements and Prospects
The main aspects of the problem of historical and cultural values reversion to Ukraine are revealed in the article. It contains a list of the most prominent actions concerning to the reversion of historical and cultural heritage to Ukraine. In general, it is possible to estimate realized work positively. According to the official data over 100 000 units of historical and cultural values have been returned to Ukraine since 1992. Current situation is also discussed in the article. New ways of international cooperation aimed at returning of historical and cultural values to Ukraine are proposed. Attention is paid to the fact that the state agencies of Ukraine have followed a number of international legal documents as to the reversion of those artifacts. Imperfection of Ukrainian laws about import / export of cultural values has slowed greatly the process of international communication in this field. Possible difficulties are also shown. It is mentioned in the article, that after the occupation of a part of Ukrainian territory on the East and the Crimea annexation any successful negotiations about historical and cultural values reversion from the Russian Federation are impossible. We must not diminish everything done in previous years. The importance of such active work in this field is emphasized. Popularization of restored artifacts among Ukrainians is a considerable part of this complex of questions as well. It is concluded that the reversion of historical and cultural values is a very serious task, as those artifacts refill Ukrainian treasury with unique masterpieces of art, rare archival materials and collections of books.
historical monuments, cultural heritage, historical and cultural values, Ukrainian Diaspora.
- (2017) All-Ukrainian Eighteenth Source-Study Readings Devoted to the Centenary of the Ukrainian Revolution, Kyiv, November 15.
- (2018) The Round Table «Losses of Church Historical and Cultural Treasures during Totalitarian Regimes», Kyiv, May 10 (National Academy of Arts of Ukraine, Kyiv Orthodox Theological Academy, Institute for Problems of Modern Art of the NAA of Ukraine).
- (2017) The Round Table «Complicated Aspects of Return and Restitution of Cultural Treasures and Legislative Mechanisms of the Process», Kyiv, December 13 (Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko National Museum).
- (2017) The Round Table «Ukrainian Cultural Treasures Abroad and Practices of Their Return to Ukraine», Kyiv, December 6 (Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University).
- (2016) The Theoretical and Practical Conference «Return of Cultural Treasures to Ukraine is a State Affair», Kyiv, July 1 (National Academy of Arts of Ukraine, National Academy of Fine Art and Architecture, Bohdan and Varvara Khanenkos National Museum, National Museum of History of Ukraine).
- (2003) Treasures of National Culture are an Imperishable Heritage of the Ukrainian People. An Information and Analytical Reference on the Current State and Prospects of Protecting Objects of Cultural Heritage of Ukraine, as well as Historical and Cultural Monuments of the Ukrainian People Being beyond Ukraine’s Borders. Culture and Life, No. 35, November 5.
- Hula, O. (2017) Hostages of Great Politics: the Problem of Returning Cultural Treasures to Ukraine. Ukrainian Studies, No. 4, pp. 249–254.
- Zverkhovska, V. (2013) Delimitation of the Concepts of «Cultural Heritage», «Cultural Treasures», «Cultural Property», and «Object of Cultural Heritage». Legal Bulletin, No. 4, pp. 137–142.
- Kot, S. (2010) American Policy of Restitution of Cultural Treasures after the Second World War and Ukraine. International Relations of Ukraine: Scientific Searches and Finds, Iss. 19, pp. 243–264.
- Kot, S. (2018) Archival Documents as a Factor in Identifying and Returning Lost Cultural Treasures (By the Way of Examples of Mosaics and Frescoes of St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Cathedral in Kyiv). Archives of Ukraine, No. 4, pp. 23–27.
- Kot, S. (2011) On the Issue of the Transfer of Cultural Property from Ukraine to Poland in the Second Half of the 1940s. International Relations of Ukraine: Scientific Searches and Finds, Iss. 20, pp. 239–259.
- Kot, S. (2016) Problems of Returning Cultural Treasures in Ukrainian-Russian Intergovernmental Relations. XXth-Century Ukraine: Culture, Ideology, and Policy, Iss. 21, pp. 160–177.
- Kot, S. (2013) The Term «Illegally Exported Cultural Values» in Context of the Problem of Return and Restitution of Cultural Objects. Papers of the Centre for Monument Studies, Iss. 24, pp. 16–29.
- Kot, S. (1996) Ukrainian Cultural Treasures in Russia. The Problems of Return in Context of History and Law. The Return of Cultural Property to Ukraine: Problems, Targets, and Prospects. Kyiv, Iss. 8, 91 pp.
- Kotys, O. (2012) Applying the Notions of «Cultural Treasures» and «Cultural Heritage» in International Law and the Law of the European Union. Bulletin of the Lviv University. International Relations Series, Iss. 31, pp. 189–197.
- Kulinich, M. (2014) Activities of the State Archival Service of Ukraine and Research Institutions in the Field of Restitution and Return of Archival Ukrainian Studies. Scientific Papers of History Department of the Zaporizhzhia National University, Iss. 39, pp. 326–330.
- Nestulia, O. (1994) At the Origins of the State System of Protecting Cultural Monuments in Ukraine(Periods of the Central Council, Hetmanate, and Directorate). Kyiv; Poltava, 239 pp.
- Ostashkina, V. (2009) Problem of Cultural Treasures Return in Relations between Ukraine and the CIS Countries. History Pages: Collected Scientific Papers, Iss. 28, pp. 236–246.
- Tatiyivska, I. (2016) «Ukraine–USA»: Problems of Return and Restitution of Cultural Treasures. Bulletin of the National Academy of Managerial Staff of Culture and Arts, No. 4, pp. 42–46.
- Tatiyivska, I. (2018) Institutional Activities of Ukraine in the Field of Return and Restitution of Cultural Treasures (author’s abstract of thesis for … a Ph. D. in History). Kyiv, 20 pp.
- Tatiyivska, I. (2016) Role of the State Service for Monitoring the Displacement of Cultural Treasures across the State Border of Ukraine in Preserving Works of Decorative Art and the Transformation of Traditions in the Field of Ethnic Design. Bulletin of the National Academy of Managerial Staff of Culture and Arts, No. 2, pp. 110–113.
- Tykhenko, V. (2018) Return of Cultural Heritage of the Ukrainian Diaspora (According to Documents of the CSAFAUS). Archives of Ukraine, No. 5–6, pp. 109–116.
- Furman, Ya. (2014) Topical Issues of Using Special Knowledge in Investigating Criminal Infringements on Cultural Treasures, Works of Art, and Antiques. European Perspectives, No. 6, pp. 151–156.